2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

Staying Healthy!!!


At the age of nine I was diagnosed with scoliosis. The docter said I had to have immediate surgery to fix the problem because it was leaning towards my heart. What started as a two week stay for one surgery, turned into a 6 month stay for 16 surgeries. The entire process left me on bed rest for 9 months once I was discharged from the hospital. I had to wear a back brace 24/7 for a year, every time I was not laying down flat. In the end, all the strength I had built up from my dad doing exercises with me since birth was gone. I had to start from the beginning.
I began physical therapy twice a week for strength and balance training. Because I worked so hard, as a kid, with my dad to get my physical independence, I couldn’t just give up. I was determined to get it back. It’s because of this time period that I developed a strong passion for working out, sports and staying healthy. I got into horseback riding, track n’ field, wheelchair basketball and weight lifting. I began to attend the JAWS camp on a regular basis. I now have participated in many three mile walks for a variety of different charities and organizations.

I have always loved strength training, working out and boxing. For the past year I have been working on so many different projects, that I found myself forgetting about my health and fitness. I started working with my best friend to open a disability gym. After a lot of ups and downs, the disability gym is on its way here. If I am going to represent this disability gym, I have to lead by example. As of June 1, 2010, I made a pact with my twin sister. We are both going to support each other in our missions to stay healthy. We are going to the gym together three days a week. Although its not a disability gym, with my sister’s help, I am able to get a very good work out into my system. At the same time, we have a good workout into my system. At the same time, my sister and I have a good reason to get together and hangout in the midst of everything we have going on in our own lives. We are getting back on track to a better life together, physically, emotionally and spiritually!!!!