2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

FAMILY


Up until now, I haven’t really bothered to talk much about my family, where I come from, or how I grew up. Well, I was born and raised in Anaheim, CA. My mother is Native American and Spaniard. My father is Mexican and Native American. I am unbelievably happy that I grew up in the Hispanic family culture! The Hispanic culture is such an authentic culture. I am blessed to be born into a culture with so many different values and ways of life.
The one thing that I absolutely adore about my culture is the strong sense and meaning of “family”! To us, family is the most important thing in the world! You only have one family. Nothing can ever change who your family members are. Family is the one thing that you have from the start to the end of your life. Sure we get mad, upsetand annoyed with each other. But there are always those special family barbeques , birthday parties, and surprise family reunions. No matter what happens, family is the only thing that will never go anywhere. There is no such thing as being alone with no family around you. In my family, you never leave your family for any reason. Whether we are your full blood family, half blood family, in-laws, step family (brothers, sisters etc.), adopted family, or close family friends… We are all still a FAMILY! No matter how big the family is, it is always your responsibility to make sure that they are all happy and have everything they need to survive, no matter what we have to sacrifice. I would never trade my family, culture and upbringing for anything on this earth! It is what formed me into who I am today. And today, when it comes down to it, I have absolutely nothing to complain about! I have been blessed with a family that can never be replaced!

I know for a fact, if it wasn’t for my family background and culture, I would not have the heart that I have. I have a heart to help people. Any place that I see I am able to do something to help, I’m there! No questions asked. Being Ms. Wheelchair Washington is giving me so many wonderful opportunities to lend a helping hand to a lot of different people. It may be just speaking motivational words. It may be just being in the same room. It may be just a phone call. It may be helping promoting or putting an event together. No matter what, I know I am contributing to changing someone’s life for the better. And that is what I live for!