2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

JAWS Camp

By now, if you’ve been keeping up with me, you should know that I have always been a huge fan of adaptive sports. It is great for so many reasons besides recreation. It has helped me with making friendships, building my confidence and learning more about my true abilities. The first camp that I was a part of was the Junior Athletic Wheelchair Camp (JAWS). From the first day that I attended the JAWS camp, I knew it was something that would have a profound effect on me. Every year at the JAWS camp was something new. The one thing that remained the same was that Rudy Fibres was the only one who beat me at the track race every year! I made so many “high roller” friends living all over the state of California. Even though I no longer live in California, I still have kept in contact with several of the people from the JAWS camp. All of them are still supporting me in all my missions and helping me in achieving all my dreams even though we are now living in different states. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, “us ‘high rollers’ have to stick together!” The people involved with the JAWS Camp are the people who got me started, not only in wheelchair sports, but with associating with other people who use wheelchairs in general. They will forever hold a special place in my heart! Thank you JAWS!!!!