2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

1 Year Anniversary!!!


Where to start… Where to start… Where to start? Well, I have always been very up tight about the men I choose to date. I am currently coming up on my one year anniversary with my boyfriend, Torrance. The thing that is cool about our relationship is the fact that we both utilize wheelchairs for our mobility on a daily basis. I was born with Spina Bifida and I am paralyzed from my knees down. My boyfriend had a snowboarding accident at the age of 14. He crashed into a tree and it left him having to depend on a power wheelchair for his mobility.
At the end of the day, when both of our situations tie into our relationship with each other, we have many advantages and challenges at the same time. One of the challenges that we’ve faced is accommodating two wheelchairs in a limited disabled sitting area. For example, we wanted to go to a long awaited night out together. We decided to catch a movie. The theater only had two spots for wheelchairs to sit within the selected disabled seating area. By the time we arrived, there was already one man who used a wheelchair in the designated area for wheelchairs. In order for us to be able to even sit near each other on our special night out, we had to figure out how to fit three wheelchairs into an area designated to fit only two wheelchairs. Luckily, the guy who was there before us was a very nice man and worked with us to figure out the best way to solve the problem. It took some creative thinking (that really should not have been necessary) but we were able to enjoy our movie together in the end.

Of course, with every challenge comes its advantage. One of the best advantages that I have in my relationship with Torrance is the fact that no matter what the situation is, I don’t have to be scared or embarrassed of any issue I face. Anything that comes up, I know Torrance will be there to support and encourage me though the obstacles. This isn’t just because he’s my boyfriend and I know he loves me. It is also because he knows exactly why I’m frustrated. He knows why I’m mad. Why I’m sad; why I’m confused; why I’m relieved, thankful, excited, accomplished or proud. Many times, even though I have other people that I know also love me, they don’t see what Torrance can see in me. But its not their fault. They don’t live with my challenges, so they can’t be expected to completely understand my emotions regarding them. Torrance has not experienced my exact challenges either but he has experienced some of the challenges that I have to a different degree. Therefore, he understands me and why I’m so happy that I finally figured out how to get the box off the top shelf.

I am so grateful that Torrance has come into my life! I am looking forward to the next year of our life together and all the new things it will bring! I LOVE YOU TORRANCE!!!!