2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

Social Networks


I have always been interested in taking part in different social networks on the internet. All social networks are good for different reasons. Although there are some negative things said about social networks, in my opinion, it’s all about what your own personal goal is behind joining that particular site. If you have a positive goal, mission and outlook on joining the site, it will do you justice!

My first social site was www.myspace.com. It was weird because I didn’t even want to join MySpace. A friend made me a profile and I didn’t even use it for a good four months or so. Once I became active on MySpace, everything began to change! I had the desire to meet other people living with a disability. That is exactly what happened! I now have an account with, not only MySpace, but Facebook, Pushrim and Holdin’ out for a Hero.

I use my MySpace account mainly for family now. My Facebook account is the one that I use most frequently. Facebook has been absolutely wonderful for keeping up with my church family and all my advocacy for people living with disabilities. Pushrim is a fairly new social network that is aimed towards people who utilize wheelchairs and their families. This social network has been such a blessing to me in the way that I have been able to meet an enormous number of people, not only who face the same issues as myself, but have goals, visions and dreams for themselves. I have met people from all over the world who are doing a variety of things to advocate for people with disabilities. Everything from starting their own organizations, rap groups, comedy, students, broadcasters… Anything you can possibly think of is on Pushrim! I met up with an old friend because of Pushrim. If you haven’t already done so, please check out www.pushrim.com and make yourself a profile!

I heard about Holdin’ Out For a Hero through the Spina Bifida Association of Washington State. I am fairly new to the site and haven’t had the chance to explore it like I would like to. Holdin’ Out For a Hero is dedicated to people living with Spina Bifida. I look forward to continuing my membership with Holdin’ Out For a Hero. I think it is a wonderful idea to meet people who not only know what its like to live life sitting down, but have the same issues to face due to the onset of their disability.

In the end, I am a complete supporter of joining every social network that has a positive purpose behind it. If you join a social network with a negative purpose or no purpose at all, you will probably get a negative outcome. I have had nothing but success with the social networks I’ve choose to join. Sure I’ve had my share of awkward situations but when you have a mission to accomplish, you won’t let anything stop or distract you. I simply ignore the awkward situations and push forward in reaching for my goals, advocating for people with disabilities and encouraging everyone to live their lives with no limits. So always remember, life is what you make it! Its up to you to make your life worth living!