2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

Lowell Elementary

I was invited to come speak at Lowell Elementary School and share my “Power of Words” message. This was by favorite elementary schools presentation to date! I can attribute the event going smoothly to a well prepared staff. The staff had prepared the students and the staff for the anti-bullying message. I presented twice, one for the Kindergarten through second graders, then again to the 3rd through 5th graders. Both groups responded so positively to the message of “The Power of Words.” I am learning the power of vulnerability in sharing my story, so I shared my experience with looking different, my up bringing, being teased, and the amazing power that came to heal through positive words and support. I especially loved that after each presentation I would have a gaggle of kids surrounding me asking inquisitive questions. The message came alive in them right away. After my presentation I had kids saying, “You’re really amazing,” “You’re pretty,” “I like your singing.” When I left I felt like I was flying!