2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

Eatonville High School


Disability Awareness Day happens every spring at Eatonville High School. I spoke for this event last year, being there for a second time was incredible! More so because I could see how far I have come from the last time I spoke there last year. I was there for the whole school day. For the large assemble I spoke on “Creating and Environment of Vision.” I am learning the power of vulnerability, so I shared my personal experience of reaching my goals as a motivational speaker through positive words and support from friends and family. I implored them that they too could help each other reach there dreams and discover their purpose through positive words and actions. I also sang an original song that was inspired by the students and their hearts to be excellent in diversity awareness. Then I went into 6 different classrooms and shared my story in a small group setting. I split the students up into small groups and asked inquisitive questions about their perception of disabilities and how to respond to people who are disabled. The small groups were so amazing and the students really responded to the questions and peer interactions positively. I also had the privilege of meeting with the Teaching Academy students who’s sole purpose in meeting is to prepare for a future working in education. We had an amazing conversation about incorporating the inclusion model of education into their visions. I also visited the special education classroom. I came away from the day with a greater resolve to advocate for the inclusion model of education, which would include students with disabilities in the classroom with mainstream students through support from staff and peers.