2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

Farewell letter from the 2008 Ms. Wheelchair Washington, Meg Paulsen


I can’t believe the year passed so quickly – it’s really true that time flies when you’re having fun! I am excited to be involved in the upcoming pageant and know that whoever is crowned is in for an experience of a lifetime. Thank you to all of the people who supported me both financially and emotionally and I look forward to offering the same support to the 2009 Ms. Wheelchair Washington. It was such an exciting year for me! Once crowned in March I had no idea what wonderful opportunities this title would open up for me. At work my diversity efforts expanded to such an extent that I was able to promote the organizations I volunteered with to an even greater level of recognition. My title afforded me the opportunity to go to Washington DC to represent Washington’s 60,000 people with disabilities as I met with senators and representatives to give a face to my community and support improvements to a Medicare program.

Once at the national pageant in July, I met 26 truly beautiful women who happen to be wheelchair users. I met women who were pre-law, pre-med and non-profit business owners - their efforts around advocacy and the betterment of the world were inspiring. I made fast friends with Ms. Texas who ended up wearing the Ms. Wheelchair America sash and crown home and will be visiting her in Houston in April. Before I even had considered being a nominee for the Ms. Wheelchair Washington I had enrolled at DeVry University to complete my degree in Human Resources Management. I really didn’t expect to win the crown, but when I did I postponed my enrollment. Because of my involvement with the Ms. Wheelchair WA program, I was recognized and awarded a scholarship through the P.E.O. (Philanthropic Educational Organization) and reenrolled in school in September so one of my major goals is being accomplished.

Again, I want to recognize and appreciate those who have supported me in my title – I could not have done this without the experience and generosity Tammy Wilber offers in her role as the state coordinator for the MWW program. I look forward to being involved with this program for years to come.

Sincerely, Meg Paulsen, Ms. Wheelchair Washington 2008http://us.mc529.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=megpaulsen@hotmail.com