2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

Nashville

My Nashville tour was amazing!!! The first night I arrived I got to see the sights a bit. I had dinner with my colleagues at a delicious restaurant. Then I rolled down Broadway and saw live music. It was awesome! The next day I met with a State Legislator from Tennessee at National Seating and Mobility my colleague Ann Eubanks and I are meeting with legislators to pass a bill in Congress that will provide better services for people who are wheelchair users. That evening I spoke to a large crowed of Belmont Occupational Therapy students and I sang them an original song called Possibilities. The exchange between the students and I was beautiful. They are preparing to help people with mobility impairments live independently, so the word of advice I gave them from my own story is to focus on hope, because hope is what fuels healing and strength. The following day I traveled to Chattanooga and had lunch with the reigning Ms. Wheelchair Texas and Ms. Wheelchair Texas 2012 Her and I went to the State Representatives office Corker, but we were unable to meet due to the current furlough. Instead we took pictures in front of the office, to make a statement. My final day in Nashville I went back to the Belmont OT program and worked with the students in smaller classroom settings. I focused on creating an atmosphere of empowerment in the Therapy process. My highlight was speaking to the family advocacy class. My parents are a great example of parenting to empower children with disabilities.