2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington

2016 Ms. Wheelchair Washington
Nicole Martini

Preschools

I have had the opportunity to make 2 preschool appearances as Ms. Wheelchair Washington in the past 2 weeks. This was a great way to kick off “Ride the Wave” for the summer!!! The kids were a joy as always!!! I shared my story of my dreams come true in a preschool version, and encourage them that they too have dreams that can come true. I have each child share their dream, which for preschoolers can be both inspiring and comical. After they share their dreams I tell them they can help each others dreams come true through good words and kind actions towards one another. Then I have them tell me ways they can help each other’s dreams come true. My interactive demonstration for them was a puppet show, with Gerriss the Giraffe and a cardboard wave and a surfboard. The Giraffe shared his dream of being a surfer and rode the wave of his dreams. The kids love Gerriss! He inspires them to “riding the wave of happiness too their dreams.” Then I sang my original song “Ride the Wave” with a dance and hand motions. Not only is it fun to see the kids react too the presentation, but the teachers get really into it too. I had one teacher tell me he loved my lesson plan because he is a surfer and he knows the exhilaration of riding a wave. I am looking forward to more opportunities to speak too kids this summer!!